About Me:

I am currently working on my undergraduate degree at the University of South Alabama in Secondary Education/ English Language Arts. My goal is to graduate in the Spring of 2012. I have experience coaching baseball and football in both the Mobile County and Saraland City school systems. At W.P. Davidson High School, I spent three years as varsity assistant baseball coach, as well as two years worth of experience as an assistant coach on the freshman football team. In the spring of 2010, I started my first year as junior varsity assistant coach in the Saraland school system. My goal is to be the best possible educator I can be, in the classroom and on the field.

Why I Want to Teach

I guess you could say that teaching is in my blood. My dad, Dr. A.W. Faris Sr., taught exercise physiology and kinesiology for twenty five years at South Alabama. My mom also spent time as a teacher in the Mobile County school system. I didn't really know that I wanted to be a teacher until I was about twenty. When I started coaching, I discovered that I have a talent for teaching and that I also really enjoy the education process. I feel that a career in teaching offers rewards that cannot be bought with money. I feel like it is my best talent, and the one that is also the most useful to others.

I also feel it is important for any prospective teacher to be realistic with their expectations. The world is not perfect, and educators have to go through difficult and upsetting situations as well. Everything is not going to go precisely according to plan, and I understand and accept that challenge. I think that the challenges are actually a big part of why I want to be a teacher.